Canada has experimented for decades to digitize their money, creating convenience, security, and availability. The Banks have tried and the three big mobile operators have invested in a joint venture, EnStream, and even launched a product that flamed out; ZoomPass.
- Apparently mobile payments is flourishing in Canada!
- Rogers Wireless has launched a companion card and NFC enable mobile wallet
- RBC and Bell are working on a joint product
- MTS and SaskTel are working on introducing a mobile payment product
- TD appears to be contra-the-herd by announcing expansion plans to add an additional 250 machines into Atlantic Canada; that would be in the provinces of Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island and eastern Ontario.
If we were really investing into a global digital currency would we not be eliminating ATM machines and investing into the infrastructure to drive a digital and mobile payments! Food for thought!